Also known as Tree of Life, Pharmacy Tree, Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Seed Oil, Mbiyu, Upside down tree.
Origin: Malawi, Kenya, Madagascar, South Africa, Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania amongst others
Fun Fact: The tree can live for 600 years and is considered a Lost Crop™ due to it being underutilized and neglected due to the low demand. However, with the recent surge in demand for Baobab oil, it would probably be removed from the list soon.
Uses: Skin, Hair, Body, Spa Treatments
By Bernard Gagnon - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3646805Benefits of Baobab Oil
- Helps damaged skin
- Soothes cuts, burns, acne, rosacea and painful skin conditions
- Excellent after sun treatment
- Helps mature skin due to its regenerating, toning and moisturizing properties
How can this ingredient help my SKIN or HAIR goals?
This golden oil is a savior of sorts for inflamed, sensitive and even oily skin. It is lightweight, easily absorbed into skin and suitable for topical applications to your skin.
BUT it has a high comodogenic rating so it’s best not to apply to your face directly, so that you do not clog your pores.
It is helpful for dry, flaky, frizzy or damaged hair. You can choose to use this oil in the OCM method above or make a Baobab Hot Oil Hair Treatment following these easy steps:
How to use
- Wash your hair first as this makes it easier for the oils to penetrate into your scalp and hair cuticles
- Pour some Baobab Oil or mix with equal parts of Coconut Oil (or any other carrier oil) of your choice into a jar or glass bowl.
- Warm the oil either in the microwave in 10 second bursts or place the bowl in another bowl or pan of hot boiling water for 5 minutes
- Check the temperature of the oils by applying a little dollop on your wrist to ensure that it’s not too hot
- Partition your hair into 4 equal parts and apply the oil evenly from roots to tip
- Cover your head with a shower cap for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, rinse out the oil and follow with a good quality conditioner
Doing this every week will result in shinier, bouncy and well-moisturized hair, especially if you have thick curly hair. It will also help to get rid of dandruff, and dry flakes and will add volume to your hair naturally.
Where to buy Baobab Oil ?
More African Beauty Ingredients